Best Readings: Top 12 Annotated Destination / Destination Organization Books
- Gartrell, R.B. (1994). Destination Marketing for Convention and Visitor Bureaus. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing. Used copies available but out-of-print. Original classic textbook in the profession.
- Pike, S. (2004). Destination Marketing Organizations – Theory and Practice. New York, NY: Elsevier Science. Copies available. Full examination of the DMO roles, importance and value to communities active and/or interested in tourism economic contribution.
- Knapp, D. & Sherwin, G. (2005). Destination BrandScience. Washington, DC: IACVB/Destinations International and Brand Strategy, Inc. Used copies available but out-of-print. First ‘how to’ publication in applying the brand research and strategy formula to visitor destinations.
- Ford, R.C. & Peeper, W.C. (2008). Managing Destination Marketing Organizations – The Tasks, Roles and Responsibilities of the Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive. Orlando, FL: ForPer Publication. Self-published with copies available. Extensive overview based on DMO senior executive discussions.
- Davidson, D. & Rogers, T. (2015). Marketing Destinations and Venues for Conferences, Conventions and Business Events. New York, NY: Routledge. 2nd edition copies available. From European and meetings/convention perspectives which adds international breath to the destination marketing profession.
- Kolb, B. (2017). Tourism Marketing for Cities and Towns – Using Social Media and Branding to Attract Tourists. New York, NY: Routledge. 2nd edition copies available. Practical textbook to successfully promote visitors to communities.
- Morrison, A.M. (2018). Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations. New York, NY: Routledge. 2nd edition available. First comprehensive textbook covering the full scope of the destination management profession.
- Baker, B. (2019). Place Branding for Small Cities, Regions and Downtowns – The Essentials for Successful Destinations. Self-published with copies available. Updated edition to author’s original Destination Branding for Small Cities text. Practical examination of place and tourism branding strategies for use by DMO professionals.
- Geist, B. (2017). Destination Leadership. Madison, WI: Neverland Publishing. Updated edition to author’s original publication. Introductory primer for DMO practitioners and Board members in being effective in their roles and responsibilities to provide community tourism success.
- Pike, S. (2020). Destination Marketing Essentials. New York, NY: Routledge. 3rd edition available. Comprehensive examination of destination marketing, sales and management functions with illustrative worldwide case studies from a non-North American viewpoint.
- Morrison, A.M. & Maxim, C. (2022). World Tourism Cities – A Systematic Approach to Urban Tourism. New York, NY: Routledge. Recently published and available. Detailed rationale and illustrative textbook exploring the international coverage of the large city tourism phenomenon from defining criteria to successful destination management principles, policies and practices.
- Anderson, D. (2022). The Leadership Culture of Destination Organizations. Temple, TX: Destination Consultancy Group. Self-published copies available as of April 1. First visual concept publication on the evolution of destination marketing and management to leadership and the effective roles, aims and visions of destination organizations to gain tourism wealth for their communities. Presented from North American and local community perspectives.
Source: © DCG 2022